Homemade Meat Tenderizer - Tips
Meat can be easily tenderized at home with a few ingredients that are found in the kitchen. This article gives you an idea of the different ways along with tips on how to make meat juicier and tastier.
Are you looking to soften meat in your cooking so that you can enjoy all the juices and help the spices marinade to its best? Well here are some amazing meat tenderizer tips, techniques and recipes.
Simple Meat Tenderizer
Vinegar contains acetic acid which breaks down meat fibers, thus it is a simple and excellent ingredient to use to tenderize meat. To make the meat tender all you need to do is add a tablespoon of vinegar to your cooking liquids while making roasts, stews or steaks.
Meat Tenderizer with Baking Soda
Baking soda is effective with smaller cuts of meat and is used to tenderize meat that are usually sliced for stews and stir-fry.
- First take the raw meat and sprinkle some baking soda in it. You will need about 1 teaspoon for a pound of meat. Now mix the baking soda into the meat with your hands.
- Next leave the soda on the meat for about an hour.
- Then rinse the meat thoroughly and wipe or squeeze the excess water. Take a few paper towels and pat the meat dry.
- Now cook the meat as you had planned.
Meat Tenderizer with Apple Cider Vinegar
- A mixing bowl
- Apple Cider Vinegar - ½ cup
- Vegetable Oil - ½ cup
- Chopped Garlic - 2 cloves
- Onion - ¼ (finely chopped)
- Some ground Pepper
- Salt - ½ teaspoon
- Worcestershire Sauce - 1 teaspoon
- Lemon Juice - ½ teaspoon
- To make the meat tenderizer, combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Next pour ¼ of this mixture into a glass cookware and put the meat on top of it.
- Take the remaining contents of the mixing bowl and pour it over the meat. While doing so ensure that you rub some on the sides of the meat also.
- Take a sheet of plastic wrap and use it to cover the glass cookware. Then place it in the refrigerator.
- Leave the meat there for about 12 to 24 hours after which you can cook it as you normally do!
Meat tenderizing Tips
- In case you don’t have garlic powder and onion at home you can substitute it with any fresh ingredients, if required.
- If you are planning to use soy sauce in place of Worcestershire sauce remember not to add salt as soy sauce is already salty.
Meat Tenderizer with Papaya and Pineapple
- Pineapple - 1 (peeled and chopped without the hard core)
- Papaya - 1 (peeled with the seeds removed and chopped)
- Water - 2 cups or more (depending on how thick you want the puree to be)
- Take a food processor and put the pineapple and papaya chunks in it. Also add water and process until pureed and smooth.
- Now divide the mixture onto 1 cup of plastic freezer containers and allow it to freeze
- When cooking add 1-2 cups of this mixture to your favorite marinade and let it be stay overnight.